How to relieve dry skin
In a previous post we talked about the difference between dry skin and dehydrated skin. You can read the full article here. For dehydrated skin I already made reviews for my favorites products, so it's time to talk more about dry skin and how to treat it. The skin is dry when it lacks the lipids that make up the skin barrier that prevents water from leaving the skin, and it can be recognized by this symptoms:
- Skin feels rough and itchy
- It's flaky, scaly
- It's very sensible and becomes reddened easily
- Has dryness-induced fine lines
The main causes for dry skin are:
- Aspects of everyday life, like hot showers, diet, medication
- Incorrect skin care using cosmetic products with harsh ingredients like alcohol, perfumes, parabens
- Extreme weather conditions, cold, dry air, low humidity, seasonal changes
Can you fight this causes? Yes, some of them. You can use mild, fragrance-free skin care products, you can take a shorter warm shower, you can eat healthy fats like avocado and salmon, but you wont' be able to influence the climate where you live, the level of pollution or genetic predispositions. So, if you suffer from dry skin, you will probably turn to skin care products which can help you to replenish missing natural moisturizing factors, like I did :)
Usually, I face dry skin problems during winter, but when I moved to Copenhagen I had a rough time adapting to this cold and windy climate, my skin became very dry, itchy and everything was aggravated by a allergy to the laundry detergent I used. So, I started using Lipikar Baume AP+ for face and body, and worked like a miracle. My skin was soothed and the itchiness disappeared pretty fast. I liked that it quickly absorbs into the skin and doesn't feels greasy at all, although has a very thick consistency.
LIPIKAR BAUME AP+
- Very dry, irritated skin prone to itching. Extreme dryness. Sensitive and atopy-prone skin.
- Suitable for babies, children and adults.
- Restore and preserve the skin barrier. Re-establish the and stabilize the microbiome's balance.
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free.
- To trap the much-needed moisture intro you skin, is very important to apply moisturizing products immediately after washing, on damp skin.
- If you have sensitive skin, on your face is better to use it like a mask: apply a thick layer on clean skin, leave it for 20 minutes and wash it. Apply your regular face cream.
Wish you all a healthy, radiant skin!
Hugs and kisses!